Unisys

Unisys Employee Reviews in Remote

Great company to work for but be prepared to create your own job description and/or to fill the role for different positions. You do learn alot and meet great people. The atmosphere in Unisys is that everyone is a salesman which I don't agree with. Sometimes, at least in my position, they want me to steer and sell the client on things which I'm not comfortable with.
Management is singleminded, self-serving, highly political (in the business sense) and concerned with only one thing: their own job security. They would sooner hire someone to serve as a scapegoat for their own ineptitude than deal with their own failures as managers. Salaries are below average, benefits (medical) are above average. 401k plan is average. Work-life balance: don't expect to ever have a minute to yourself (it sucks).
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Hard to work at a place when your peers won’t even do their work. A coworker refused to do anything and would push work to offshore teams and take credit for it. Terrible..
I have worked here for 10 years and during that time the company changed ownership 3 times and I have been retained through all the changes. However there isn't much room for growth within the company.
Compensation was good here. Everything starts out good but once you are no longer needed, then its time to be replaced by a lower paid person in another country. I feel bad for those guys in the other county, getting paid not enough and having too much work to do.
Unisys has a large group of very qualified employees but continues to be challenged with moving from its legacy hardware and services business to aAS or cloud offerings. Management changes fairly frequently but innovation is prized.
Nothing but change and lay-offs. Whomever it was who signed the HPE deal should have serious thoughts regarding their decision making skills. THe pay was OK, but losing half the team in a 75% of your team in a 12 month period will negatively affect your work-life balance.
Leadership doesn’t listen, makes poor decisions and subsequently lays people off to make up for budget shortfalls — this seems to happen annually. Constant reorganizations upend teams. Lots of politics. Won’t invest in ongoing support and adoption of tools once deployed. Always behind the curb when it comes to hiring, raises and promotions. Oh and don’t expect a raise with that promotion — you’ll get the promise that it will come when reviews come around and then of course there’s always an excuse when it gets diluted by any COLA you receive. As someone else summed up in a review, they will suck the life out of you with very much a “What have you done for me today mgt mentality?”
Good if you want training to help advance your career. PM level managers and above are often lost and only want to push sales of new technologies over meeting the actual requirements of the customer. They do offer many work-from-home positions.
Pros
Work from home, Training
Cons
Poor leadership, Flawed rating system.
I was brought in after the company I was working for transitioned IT functions to unisys. We were offered jobs and it has literally been the worst experience since the transition. Everything we were told about salary, shifts and scope of work were complete lies. Not only that but all of our communications with users are delayed if we ever get the email at all.
Cons
The compensation differential between management, VP and above, was exponentially out of wack. You better take your marching orders with a smile and keep you head down.
Pros
Incredibility smart people at the staff level
Cons
Brutal and clueless management
Get dispatched out for jobs on a daily basis. Do not want to pay for our travel time or at home time when ordering parts and contacting clients to schedule service.
Workforce is largely remote, but mature and able to balance the freedom of working from home with work responsibilities. Company was an IT industry leader in 2000 and has seen a steady decline for 18 straight years. Company continues to lay off employees, even those recently hired. Staff is focused on staying employed and understand there are no promotion opportunities due to the company's declining financials.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Layoffs
This is a bad user experience for me to right a review for a company when I do not know what you are using it for. I sure hope I do not need to do this for every company I have worked for!
Company is on a downward spiral. Is known for going on hiring sprees then laying off everyone. Management thinks it can leverage layoffs on its way to profitability, instead of innovating.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Constant layoffs
My turn with UNISYS was NOT with the old line UNISYS mainframe / Burroughs middle frame systems. It was with the Real Time Virtualization section of the company, which unfortunately, has ended. The people who ran this Virtualization support section, were just about as close to perfect a manager team as you could hope for. They clashed with the old line computer generation so much, and they were always right. That's probably what doomed them in the corporate world. They were ahead of their time in their product, in their attitude, and for their market.
Pros
Remote support for Virtualization clusters, sharp people, great schedule
Cons
A little culture class with the older product lines
Unisys struggles with its identity and trying to provide solid service offerings. Executive language in communications is outdated, often trying to apply odd names to programs in an effort to make them sound contemporary and leading edge. Overall a conservative company trailing behind other IT service providers in culture, processes and mature offerings by a couple of years.
Pros
Internal infrastructure decent
Cons
Very limited opportunity for salary increases
I was a remote worker and I found out how much more I can accomplish when I am not distracted by other employees. I have learned how to manage people better. The best part of the job is the other employees. It is a diffuclt time at Unisys with them reducing costs and I am one of those costs they are cutting,
I enjoyed working with the Quality Management Systems group. Co-workers were always available for assistance. Manager was a active participant in the daily activities and supportive of their direct reports
Pros
Home based work. Flexiable hours.
If you like pain, no authority and miserable co-workers and terrible management then you will like Unisys where so much time is wasted in long meetings with no leadership or defined meeting outcomes.
Pros
Benefits are decent
Cons
Work culture is horrible
Unisys is a great place to work. Process is always improving and everyone works together. There is not alot of room for advancement and that is challenging. I work from home full time, which I love and it gives me a bit of flexibility for my family. I enjoy everyone that I work with and find that the challenges are few as everyone wants you to do well.